Thursday, February 16, 2017

Gyakuten Saiban Blog Entry 25: Finale (2001)

Title: Curtains /「終幕」
Source: Gyakuten Saiban official site (down)

Summary: The final column for the official website of the Game Boy Advance version of Gyakuten Saiban (Ace Attorney GBA) has director and writer Takumi looking back at what the game means to him at a pesonal level. He also reveals a bitter childhood memory, which inspired the class trial featured in the backstory of this first game.

Finale

This is the final column. I’ve also written some self-praising stories these three months around the release date of Gyakuten Saiban (Ace Attorney GBA), but I hope you have liked the columns.

I kinda feel like this game contains everything that I am. First of all, mystery fiction. I have only read one single novel that was not mystery fiction between the time I was a child until this very moment (that book was Jurassic Park, because I was working on Dino Crisis). I finally could show off all my love for mystery fiction in this game.

Second is my tendency to get immersed in something.…The stories and tricks that go into each episode. I always feel compelled to go beyond my past self. The proof to that is that, as you can, these columns have been becoming longer and longer ever since the first one (Actually I did that on purpose to bring that up here, but at first it was really just because I got caught up in writing).

And finally, comedy. To me, “comedy” is the greatest form of entertainment. People who laugh a lot, people good at making others laugh, people who, even if they’re not very good at it, try to make others laugh… I wanted to share a good laugh with people like them.

Talking about comedy, this happened to be when I was in second grade of elementary school. I was playing in the schoolyard, when I found a piggy bank thrown away at the garbage disposal area.  There was one coin of five yen inside. I didn’t think much of it and put it my pocket.

The next day, I was made to stand in front of a girl I didn’t know in a different classroom. A teacher I didn’t know, was yelling at me.
“You shouldn’t steal! Now go apologize to her!”

…Apparently, that girl’s saving box was stolen, and someone had seen me playing with her piggy bank near the garbage disposal area….I only connected the dots later, but that was probably what was going on.

…No! It wasn’t me! I only picked it up….

The mind of young me was all blank. I just didn’t know what was happening to me. “Apologize right away!” the hysterical voice of the teacher cried. The piercing cold eyes of a class I hadn’t seen before were aimed at me.

“…I’m sorry.” I cried as I bowed my head to that girl I had never seen before. Several times. All because I took one coin of five yen.

There was no Mitsurugi Reiji (Miles Edgeworth) in that class, so I did not become a defense attorney. But instead, I used this story to write the game scenario. All’s well that ends well.

Naruhodo-kun (Phoenix Wright), Mayoi-chan (Maya Fey), Chihiro-san (Mia Fey), Mitsurugi Reiji and Detective Itonoko (Dick Gumshoe). I am sure they are still fighting each other, and laughing with each other. Oh no, perhaps this time it’s Itonoko who got himself arrested….

The reason why the last scene of Gyakuten Saiban turned out like that is because I didn’t want to close off that world I loved so much, I want it to go on forever.

Anyway. Let me close the curtains on this column too like Naruhodō.

…And so my story ends. I said my goodbyes to that rookie attorney, and now I turn to a new page, to live in a new story.  …With new faces to meet….

And so this is the end of the column. Thank you all for sticking around until the very end.

No comments:

Post a Comment