Saturday, January 28, 2017

Gyakuten Saiban 2 Blog Entry 12: Curtains (2002)

Title: Curtains / 「終幕」
Source: Gyakuten Saiban 2 official site (down) 

Summary: The twelfth column for the official website for the original GameBoy Advance version of Gyakuten Saiban 2 (Ace Attorney 2 - Justice For All) is also the last, so director Takumi looks back at the beginning of the project, and tells the reader about what he had in mind when he first started working on the game and how they are already getting feedback of the game (which was released several weeks before the publication of this column). Unlike other columns for this series, this column does not feature a 'backstage' segment.

Curtains

This is the final column. It’s been two years since development on the Gyakuten Saiban (Ace Attorney) series started. Memories of days flying by at the speed of a hurricane being buried faraway, while busy handling “the present” trying to catch up on me…They were days like that.

There was one thing I decided on first when it was decided we’d make a sequel to Gyakuten Saiban (Ace Attorney GBA).

 “I want to make something that all the people who enjoyed the first game can have fun with”,

“A work everyone can enjoy”. That’s a dream all creators chase after, but I wanted to make something that least the people who liked the first game could enjoy. Anyway, that was what I had on mind.

And now the development is over, and the game has been sent out into the world. Lately, the opinions of everyone have been arriving at our place. And if we take a look at them….My dream may have been too ambitious.

If a hundred people play Gyakuten Saiban, it means there are a hundred different stories, one for each one of them. The Gyakuten Saiban I created is just one of those hundred stories, and it’s nothing more, and nothing less than that.

“A complete game consists of two halves: the creator, and the people playing it” As I put everything I had in this game, this saying feels more real to me than ever. I hope that the stories you will experience, will turn out to be something you’ll be satisfied with.

And now it’s time for goodbyes. I started this column because I wanted everyone to learn about how things go behind the scenes of Gyakuten Saiban 2 (Ace Attorney 2 - Justice For All). But if I think about it, I might’ve been writing these columns for myself. My fleeting memories are given shape like this, leaving something tangible behind. I feel nostalgic already reading them now.

I myself really enjoyed writing these columns. I really hope to the people who have read them all to the end have enjoyed them in one way or another. And that is it.

Thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment